Bell & Howell is a U.S.-based former manufacturer of motion picture machinery, founded as Bell & Howell in 1907 by two projectionists, and headquartered in Wheeling, Illinois. According to its charter, Bell & Howell Company incorporated on February 17, 1907. It was duly recorded in the Cook County Record Book eight days later.
The splicer (above) was constructed to join together separate pieces of film, usually bonded by a specially formulated ‘film cement’.
Historically, Bell & Howell Co. was an important supplier of many different media technologies, starting with a rotary framer on 35mm film projectors in 1907. This was quickly followed by a 35mm film perforator (1908), a professional 35mm motion-picture film camera (1909) and printing equipment used in motion-picture film laboratories introduced in 1911. In 1934 Bell & Howell introduced the first light weight amateur 8-mm movie camera, in which the film was loaded in a cassette that allowed daylight loading and unloading.
For a brief period in the early eighties, Bell & Howell marketed a version of the Apple II in a black case to educational institutions. The company merged with Böwe Systec Inc. in 2003; it was known as Böwe Bell & Howell until 2011, when Versa Capital Management bought the company and returned it to its original name.
(Text from Wikipedia).